Cook Time: ~5 minutes
Almond Ice Cream with Cherry Preserves and Toasted Almond
2 cups cream
1 cup whole milk
¼ tsp. plus 1/8 tsp. Cook’s pure Almond Extract, divided
½ tsp. Cook’s Choice Pure Vanilla Extract
5 large egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
¼ cup slivered toasted almonds
½ cup cherry preserves
Explore more recipes
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, heat cream and milk. Bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks, ¼ tsp. almond extract, vanilla extract, and sugar.
- While vigorously whisking, pour hot cream mixture gradually into the egg mixture. Be sure to continue whisking and gradually add hot milk to avoid causing the egg mixture to scramble.
- Return the custard to the saucepan and heat over low heat and continuously whisk for approximately 5 minutes or until mixture is frothy.
- Strain custard through a medium sieve into a bowl.
- Allow mixture to cool in either an ice bath (preferred) or in a refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Whisking occasionally, especially if using ice bath.
- Meanwhile, combine cherry preserves and 1/8 tsp. almond extract in a small mixing bowl.
- Pour the cooled custard mix into ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions to freeze and churn until mixture is at a milkshake consistency.
- Add toasted nuts to half frozen ice cream and continue freezing and churning until smooth, frozen and creamy.
- Transfer ice cream to a freezer container and quickly marble in the cherry preserves mixture and then transfer to freezer immediately. Freeze at least 2 hours.