Mummy Apple Pie Bars
For the Cookie:
2.25 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Cup Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Large Egg
1 Tsp Cook’s Pure Vanilla Extract
For the Apple Filling:
5 Apples, peeled and very thinly sliced
1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 Cup Sugar
3 Tbsp Cup Lemon Juice
For the Pie Crust Topping:
1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, Chilled and Diced
1/4 Tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Sugar
2 Tbsp Ice Water
White Chocolate Wafers
Mini Chocolate Chips
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter at 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
- In a bowl of a mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar together. Add the egg and the vanilla extract and beat well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until the flour is just incorporated into the dough.
- Press dough into the bottom of the baking dish. Set aside.
- Combine apple slices, cinnamon and vanilla extracts, ground cinnamon, sugar, and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Pour the apples over the top of the cookie dough. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, and sugar for the pie crust. Add in the diced butter and rub the butter pieces into the flour with your fingers. Continue to combine butter and flour until the butter pieces are the size of peas.
- Add the ice water to the flour and butter mixture and bring the dough together into a ball. Place in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Roll out the pie crust to a 1/4 inch thick rectangle. Cut long strips of pie crust and place the strips on top of the apples, making sure to overlap the pieces so that it looks like mummy bandages.
- Dust top with turbinado sugar and then bake for 30-35 minutes or until the apples are cooked and the pie crust is golden brown.
Recipe Adaped from Milk and Cookies
- While the bars are still hot, place white chocolate wafers and mini chocolate chips on top of the bars to mimick eyes.
- Cut into 24 pieces and serve.