Servings: 24 Prep: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 30-35 Minutes
Tres Leches Cake
For the Cake:
1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp Salt
5 Large Eggs, Separated
1 Cup Sugar, Divided
1/3 Cup Whole Milk
1 Tbsp Pure Vanilla Extract
12-ounce Can Evaporated Milk
14-ounce Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/4 Cup Whole Milk
2 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
1-pint Heavy Whipping Cream
1/4 Cup Sugar
1 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
1/2 Tsp Pure Cinnamon Extract
Ground Cinnamon, for topping
Recipe Adapted from Tastes Better From Scratch.
Explore more recipes
For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Separate the eggs into two medium bowls. To the egg yolks, add 3/4 cups sugar and pure vanilla extract. To the egg whites, add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar.
- Whisk the egg yolks with an electric mixer until they are pale yellow and double in volume. Whisk in the milk.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour the flour mixture on top of the egg yolk mixture and fold together with a rubber spatula.
- Clean the electric mixer whisks and whisk the egg whites until they have tripled in volume and form stiff, glossy peaks.
- Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter. Then gently fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Pour batter into a 13X9 baking pan and bake for 25-35 minutes.
For the Milk Soak:
- In a medium bowl, combine the three kinds of milk and the pure vanilla extract. Set aside.
- When the cake is out of the oven and cooled to room temperature. Poke the cake all over with a fork or toothpick and pour the milk soak all over the cake, making sure to get the corners and the whole surface of the cake.
- Chill the cake for at least one hour and up to 12 hours.
For the Whipped Cream Topping:
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, cream, and extracts. Whip the cream until very stiff peaks form.
- Smooth the whipped cream over the top of the cake. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon and gently mix the cream and the cinnamon together on top of the cake for a more unique look.
- Serve chilled.