Angel Food Cake
Servings: 1 cake Prep: 20 minutes Cook Time: 45-50 minutes
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups fine granulated sugar (aka bakers' sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites (c. 12 large)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 Tablespoon water or part water and part lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Cook's Pure Bourbon Vanilla Extract or 1 teas. vanilla and 1/2 teas. Cook's Pure Almond extract
- You can also use Cook's Organic Almond Extract
Louise has become hopelessly attached to James Beard. She paid homage with a heavenly Angel Food Cake, provided here with full instructions. It's light and fabulous and can be gobbled plain or adorned manner of ways, with fruits and cream to cocoa flavored whipped cream, to lemony drizzles.
- This cake may be made in practically any shape of pan (loaf, sheet or jelly roll), although the tube pan has become a stereotype.
- Make sure egg whites are allowed to warm to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350 F
- Sift the flour, measure, and sift 5 or 6 times more with 1/2 cup sugar and the salt. Hold sifter high when sifting to incorporate as much air as possible.