Margaret's Chocolate Birthday Cake
Servings: 10-12 Prep: 30 minutes Cook Time: 40-50 minutes
Butter, for greasing the pans
3/4 cup unsalted butter
3 cups sugar
3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon pure chocolate extract
2.6 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
1.3 cups good cocoa powder
3 teaspoons baking soda
1.5 teaspoon baking powder
1.5 teaspoon kosher salt
1.5 cups buttermilk, shaken
1.5 cups freshly brewed hot coffee
1 recipe whipped chocolate cream cheese frosting
1 recipe raspberry sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two 9" cake pans with butter and then line them with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and the sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add in the extracts.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the coffee and the buttermilk.
- Alternate mixing in the flour and buttermilk mixture in five parts, starting and ending with the flour. (Flour, buttermilk, flour, buttermilk, flour).
- Mix until just mixed.
- Divide batter equally between two pans.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted from the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from pans and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Frost with whipped chocolate cream cheese frosting and top with raspberry sauce.