Rum and Raisin Cake
Servings: 10-12 Prep: 30 minutes Cook Time: 50 minutes
For the Cake:
2 1/4 Cup Cake Flour
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Cup Whole Milk
1/3 Cup Sour Cream
1/3 Cup Spiced or Dark Rum (If you prefer not to use rum, substitute rum with milk)
1 Cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
1 3/4 Cups Sugar
1 Tbsp Pure Rum Extract
1 Tbsp Pure Vanilla Extract
3 Large Eggs
2 Large Egg Yolks
1 Cup Raisins, soaked in hot water and then drained, divided
For the Glaze:
1/2 Cup Butter
1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1/4 Cup Whole Milk
1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
1 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
1 Tsp Pure Rum Extract
Recipe adapted from Tastes Better from Scratch
This recipe requires a bundt pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease and flour the bundt pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, sour cream, and rum. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs and egg yolks one at a time and scrape the bowl after each addition.
- Mix in the extracts.
- Add ⅓ of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix just until combined. Add ½ of the milk/sour cream mixture and mix.
- Add another ⅓ of the dry ingredients, mixing just until combined.
- Add the last ½ of the milk/sour cream mixture and beat until just combined.
- Add the final ⅓ of the dry ingredients and mix just until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- With a rubber spatula, add half the raisins.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake in the middle third of the oven. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter and mix in the sugar until the sugar is fully dissolved. Remove from heat and add in the heavy cream, milk, and extracts. Set aside.
- When the cake is baked, let cool for 15 minutes in the pan. After 15 minutes, turn out the cake and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once the cake is completely cool, glaze the top of the cake evenly and then sprinkle the remaining raisins around the cake.