Vegan Chocolate Cake
Servings: 10-12 Prep: 30 minutes Cook Time: 30-35 minutes, plus 4 hours chill time
For the Cake:
3 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Unsweetened Dutch-processed Cocoa Powder
2 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Tsp Salt
2 Cups Fresh Brewed Coffee
1 3/4 Cups Dark Brown Sugar, packed
2/3 Cups Vegetable Oil
For the Whipped "Cream" Frosting:
2 Cups Unflavored Soy Milk
2 Cups (Scant) Refined Coconut Oil, Melted
1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
Crushed Peppermint Candies for Topping
Cake adapted from Delish
Whipped "Cream" adapted from School Night Vegan
For the Cake:
- Grease and line with parchment paper two 8" cake pans.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine the coffee, oil, brown sugar, and extracts.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk together until no lumps remain. Be careful not to overmix.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a knife comes out of the middle clean.
- Run a sharp knife around the edge of the cake and pan. Let the cake cool for 15 minutes in the pan.
- Turn the cake out onto a wire rack and let rest until completely cool.
For the Whipped "Cream":
- Bring soy milk and coconut oil to the same temperature. Do NOT use refrigerator-temperature soy milk and hot coconut oil. The ideal temperature is room temperature or slightly warmer for both.
- Blend the oil and soy milk together in a blender until the mixture is a bit frothy.
- Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, but ideally overnight.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a cold bowl and whisk attachment, whisk the extracts, sugar, and oil/milk mixture until stiff peaks form. Note that this will take significantly more time than dairy cream.
For the Assembly:
- Trim the cakes so that the tops are flat.
- Dollop and spread half of the whipped cream on top of the first layer.
- Add the second layer of cake.
- Dollop the remaining cream on top of the cake and spread it evenly. Top with crushed peppermint candies and vegan ganache ( 12 oz vegan chocolate plus 1/4 cup soy milk heated in a microwave and then whisked together).